Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Walls Between Us

by 8RG: 

Showtime, to whom I recently sent a friendly suggestion (see 'Riding the Wave'), has responded with a form e-mail describing their policy of deleting messages unread that are of such a nature. They indicate that whatever I suggested very likely already coincides with the work of their own creative teams, that they don't desire such conflicts and so forth in that vein.

Of course I recognize the impetus for such a response - their fear that I might legally pursue them down the road for developing the idea that I suggested or demand some sort of compensation. That wasn't my goal in the message I sent which is why I purposefully did not specify 'Story A' featuring 'Characters 1, 2 and 3 and attach 'Script Purple'. How sad that the world has come to such a place where we have to build all of these impossible protective walls of laws around everything.

I'm not a writer (as if you can't tell from my messy stream of consciousness here). I draw pictures. I make things with my hands. Nothing fancy about me at all and I don't aspire to be.

But I do believe that the timing is good to create some original programing around Asian subjects - and that there's a whole lot of untapped possibility in that wellspring. But I'm not gonna create it. I don't have either the money or the structure or even the skill to do that. So what good is it to have an idea that just sits impotent in my skull?

If I give it to them and they make it into a bonanza that's great! At least I get to see the show and new audiences gain the exposure to positive Asian images (hopefully - if it is done well). If I hoard it to myself it's really gonna go no where. It won't exist except in my vague imaginings.

But I wasn't even suggesting anything specific. I didn't say - "Hey guys, develop this series based on the '47 Ronin' or a script about Qin Shi Huang or a documentary on the tragic story of D2B and the death of Big."

I didn't suggest a full length movie about the life of Hide called 'Pink Spider' or a  series of live shows featuring Asian American rising musicians.

I merely suggested that they begin pursuing Asian subjects couched in the successful gritty drama styles that they have created previously. The end. I'm not sure how I  could have a court case of any kind with such an amorphous suggestion.

What I find a bit amusing, though, is - how did they know what the nature of my suggestion was before they read the e-mail? I'm not so sure about that part suggesting that my message was deleted unread. They had to read it to know what it was about... *laughs*

So maybe we'll all get lucky and they'll develop something Asian related anyway and I'll pretend I never said anything and they'll pretend that they never read anything. But we'll all get to enjoy a new show that doesn't cover the same old tired subjects and bases.

No comments:

Post a Comment